Most of us experience some form of pain at least once a month, and for others, it can be ongoing. Headaches, sports and repetitive stress injuries, and inflammatory diseases are common afflictions. While there is often no cure that will take all the pain away, essential oils are a natural way to help you to manage the pain. These 9 are my favorite Essential Oils to Help Manage Pain and physical discomfort!
When used correctly, essential oils can release some of the pain and inflammation in your body. Essential oils should be diluted with a carrier oil such as almond, coconut, or jojoba, before applying to skin. They can also be made into ointments, which will more effectively allow the skin to absorb their properties.
9 Essential Oils to Help Manage Pain.*
- Peppermint—One of the best all-purpose essential oils to have in your cupboard. It can help to relieve a headache when touched to pressure points. It can also be rubbed onto the skin to relieve muscle and joint pain. There is also the additional benefit that it smells good, and can also freshen breath.
- Frankincense—This contains compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties. It can be rubbed into painful joints. It also acts like a mild-sedative, and can help you to de-stress, which will make you less sensitive to pain sensations.
- Lavender—This is one of the better-known essential oil treatments. It’s gentle, and can be rubbed into the skin to act as a pain-reliever and anti-inflammatory. There is also the additional benefit of it being anti-microbial, and perfect for relaxation when you’re stressed out.
- Thyme—Sometimes pain can result in muscular spasms. Thyme is an essential oil that can help relieve this pain in joints, muscles, and back, and calm down those constant twinges.
- Sweet Marjoram—This essential oil is known for its sedative properties. It can help to relieve stiffness and spasms caused by rheumatism and osteoarthritis. It’s also more powerful than other oils at relieving migraines.
- Eucalyptus—This is a strongly-scented oil that has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is an effective essential oil treatment for muscle and nerve pain. It will help to relieve sinus pressure, and pain, during a cold. Due to its potent smell, you’ll want to use it in minute quantities.
- Chamomile—Chamomile can help you to manage PMS pain. It will help to relieve headaches, lower back pain, menstrual cramp spasms, and the other odd aches and pains you can get during your cycle.
- Wintergreen—May be a bit harder to find than peppermint, but it has similar pain-relieving properties to improve headaches, and nerve, joint, and arthritic pain. This oil contains methyl salicylate, which is similar to the salicylate that is contained in aspirin, but has the same benefits.
- Ginger—Ginger can help manage pain, and is good for relieving back pain, injuries, bruises, and sprains. Its condensed essential oil is also good for arthritic and rheumatic pain.
*This advice is based on my experience with essential oils and the research that I’ve done. This information is my opinion and should not replace the advice of a doctor. When it comes to your health and well being, I always recommend that you do your own research. If you’re interested in leaning more about essential oils, I’d love to talk with you! Send me an email at [email protected]