The older I get the more I learn that sometimes simpler, tried and true methods really ARE the best way to go! For example, baking soda has been around for forever, but its WAY under utilized in most homes! Today I am sharing 12 ways you can put baking soda to work for you and your home!
- Is your stomach a little bubbly, a little gassy, or have some burning in your heart? Baking soda is a great antacid. Put about a tea spoon in about a cup of warm water and drink it. The taste is not the greatest but you will be feeling better in only moments.
- Got an impossible ring in the bath tub or gunk around the burners on the stove? Use baking soda to scour them right off. Mix baking soda with just enough water to make a paste, apply paste directly to the area you want to clean or to a towel or sponge to use. If it is really bad, caked on, apply directly to the “filth” and allow to sit a few minutes before scrubbing off.
- Baking soda is good for treating burns also, just add enough water to make into a paste and apply to the burn. Put a baggie or plastic wrap over the area, to keep wet until the pain is gone.
- Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of a stinky trash can or dirty clothes hamper to get rid of the stink.
- Use baking soda to pre-treat stains. Make into a paste and use a toothbrush to gently brush into the stain. Allow to sit a few minutes before throwing into the wash.
- Do you have kids who play sports? Do you have a hard time getting rid of the stench and stains? Try adding a cup of baking soda to your next load (along with your regular detergent) to give that wash a boost.
- Coffee maker a little grimey? Make a mixture of 1 part baking soda to 4 parts water and run a full cycle as if you were making a cup of coffee. Then follow with a full run with clean water.
- Drain clogged? Carefully pour a cup of baking soda down the drain followed by a cup of vinegar to get rid of the clog. This formula is also a great way to deodorize!
- Dry rough skin? Make a paste of baking soda and water for a natural exfoliant.
- For softer skin, add a 1/2 cup of baking soda to your bath, trust me your skin will be softer than ever.
- Use baking soda to get baked-on food off of pots and pans. Just sprinkle a little on the pot or pan and with a wet towel, scrub until all the grime and gunk is all off.
- Use baking soda to freshen carpet. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer. Just sprinkle on the carpet, allow to sit for a few minutes and vacuum up.
Whats your favorite way to put baking soda to work for you and your home?