Detroit: Motor City, USA. Here are some fun things to consider doing on a road trip to the city that was the foundation of America’s automotive ingenuity.
First things first,
Okay, first, there’s nothing worse than breaking down on a road trip. So get your car in for service before you head out. Get the maintenance done in advance. Yes, yes, I realize we’re talking about heading to Detroit, and there’s bound to be options for service, but first you have to get there safely. Now, when it comes to fun things to do in Detroit, it may be part of the so-called rust belt, but Detroit actually has a lot to offer families who are visiting the area.
8 Things to do in Detroit
While Detroit actually has a lot of things to do, we’ve narrowed the list down to eight things that will really make a trip to Detroit memorable.
- Neoclassical art is famed at the Detroit Institute of Arts, which is famous for their Diego Rivera murals which were inspired by the auto industry
- Detroit actually is the home to original Motown – Hitsville USA was formed here. From the Supremes to the Temptations, you can stand right where they stood and hear and feel the magic of “motherly love” music.
- Detroit is home to all the major professional sports: Detroit Redwings, Detroit Tigers, Detroit Lions, and Detroit Pistons. You’re bound to find a game to catch!
- Michigan Science Center is a fun museum for families to visit. It has one of a kind, hands-on exhibits for families and kids of all ages.
- Visit Belle Isle, owned by the City of Detroit, there’s a bit of a refuge within the river. On one side you see Detroit, and on the other, Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
- While not exactly in Detroit proper, we’ll stretch it a bit and ask you to take a 20 minute drive to nearby Dearborn. Here you can visit the Ford Rouge Factory tour. Definitely a must-see for any vehicle lover!
- If you want to try a bit of food made by hand (as in traditional food from many cultures), visit Eastern Market. Saturdays are especially busy, but offer the best variety as well as great for people watching.
- Street Art at its finest can be found at the Heidelberg Project. A fair warning that this isn’t in the “best” part of town, but it is still a unique part of Americana. It really can tell a story about things left behind.
When it comes to finding unique locations for road trips, sometimes off-the-beaten path is found on the beaten path. Find something new when you take your travels. Don’t miss the “big” places, but also learn about the location with attractions unique to the city you visit.