Oh what a weekend! If you follow me on instagram or twitter ( and you should *wink wink*) you would have gotten a little glimpse into “the Great Antique Alley Adventure” 🙂 And Oh Boy! What an adventure it was! 90+ degree heat, crazy winds, pop up rain showers and all kinds of interesting people! But I’m getting ahead of myself…
Thursday morning dawned bright and cool! I was *mostly* packed when my friend Shelli arrived. It took us a little bit longer to load up than we anticipated… since I was only mostly packed LOL. By 9:30 we were on the road and headed for Cleburne, Texas. Of course we had to stop along the way…
We hit target, Starbucks and Chick-Fil-a half way to Cleburne 🙂 It took us another hour after that to get to the field we were setting up in… And yes, it was a giant empty field when we arrived! The rest of Thursday was spent setting up tents and getting situated. It didn’t take us too long to get set up. Tents were going up all around us and FAST.
Friday morning started off foggy and grey with a forecast that called for rain. But fog is a beautiful thing…
It took a couple hours for the foggy grey-ness to ease up and then people started coming to shop! Friday was a slow day for me, but a good one for Shelli! And we were definitely having fun chatting with customers and making new vendor friends! When the people stopped coming, we closed up, headed into town and got some ice cream! When we got back my bestie Taylor (pinkheelspinktruck.com) came for a little visit 🙂 It was so nice to see her! It had been over a year since we’d hung out in person.
Saturday was a better day. Lots more people and a decent amount of sales. Oh and a sunburn. Joy. I spent most of the day “chasing the shade” and failed. LOL Once the people stopped coming, we closed up shop and headed into Cleburne again for a yummy dinner! Fried pickles and surf’n’turf at the Blue Marlin were just what we needed to relax from a crazy, intensely hot day!
After dinner, we headed to Sweet Frog to meet up with Taylor again and to indulge in some FroYo 🙂 We had a good chat and then got to check out her in-progress truck. I can’t wait until that thing is finished! (Can ya say ROAD TRIP!!) Shelli and I headed back to our tent, busted out the glow sticks and watched a Movie before bed.
Sunday arrived much too quickly and swiftly reached ridiculously hot! Fortunately I had a number of sales. I had been feeling discouraged. Sunday changed that for me 🙂 Around 1 we started organizing and packing, we were more than ready to head home, hug our families and relax in air conditioned comfort! Of course we had a lot of heavy lifting to do before that was possible. By the time we were fully loaded and on our way, we were both dripping in sweat! I can’t remember a time I enjoyed blasting the a/c in a vehicle more!
I did learn a few things while we were on this great antique alley adventure…
1. Wear SUNSCREEN. yeah… that would explain the sunburn wouldn’t it!
2. Before you assume your air mattress fully functions and holds air, you should test it for longer than 2 minutes. Adding air in the middle of the night with a manual pump is not the most enjoyable thing.
3. ALWAYS bring the hair straightener. Always. Even if it mean hijacking someone else’s electricity, I would have felt much better about my appearance if my bangs weren’t so wonky.
4. Outdoor shows and carefully crafted handmade items don’t always mix well… bring extra tarps!
5. No matter what you’re missing or the number of sales you have (or don’t have), you will have a BLAST if you are with the right people and keep a good attitude (even when you want to Just. Go. Home!)
When was the last time you went on an adventure?