I love when an idea works out the way I want it too! I had the urge to do something a little different than I normally do. I wanted to take on a larger stitching project and turn it into a pillow! What better occasion to go all out with some stitchery for than Valentines! So I created this True Love Hand Stitched Pillow and I am in LOVE with it!
After a few hours of stitching I was afraid I’d bitten off more than I could chew. I changed my end plans a little, persevered and am I ever glad I did! I think it turned out just perfect.
Even though this pillow required thousands and thousands of stitches and turned into a labor of love, it was worth the time. Of course the time that I did spend stitching is basically an inexpensive form of therapy. Relaxing on the couch with Bitly in my lap and stitching in my hand is my idea of a good time.
To start I cut a 15 x 15 square out of unbleached cotton and a thin batting. I cut a paper heart to trace with fabric marker onto the center. Using my ruler added to lines so that I could make sure the text would be straight ( I can’t free hand worth a darn) and added the words. Next up was the wood grain design. I took inspiration from a piece of wood grain fabric I had on hand… and then just winged it! Starting from the center and working my way to the edges.
Once all the stitching was done (I’m guessing about 12 hours worth) I washed and dried the stitched square to remove the fabric marker, ironed it and then drew a 12 x 12 square on the wrong side. I cut another piece of unbleached cotton and batting a littler larger the 12 x 12 square and pinned the 2 squares and batting together, right sides in. I then straight stitched along the marked line, leaving a few inches a gap of a few inches to be able to turn and stuff the pillow. Once it was sewn, I trimmed the access fabric, leaving approximately a 1/2 inch seam. I lefter such a large seam to ensure that the stitching doesn’t come loose in the future. Once the pillow was turned right side out I stuffed it with poly-fill and hand stitched the gap closed.
The pillow was a tad bit lumpy so I stacked a couple of larger books on top of it for an hour or 2 to flatten things gown and smooth out the appearance. It worked perfectly.
It might have taken longer than anticipated, but this pillow was worth every minute and every stitch! Hopefully someone loves it as much as I do and snatches it up at the Market this weekend!