Oh summer. Why are you so hot? I really dislike having to cook in the full heat of summer… it just makes my already hot house, that much hotter! So whats a girl to do? Bust out the slow cooker of course! And it keep it light and healthy, I’m eating all the vegetables these days. Spaghetti squash is a favorite and there are so many yummy ways to eat it! But it can take a while to cook it in the oven… taking the temperature of the house up! No Good!
So just how do you Cook Spaghetti Squash in a Slow Cooker? I’ve got you covered! And its really not that hard!
1 spaghetti squash, washed
½ c water
1. With a sharp knife, cut the squash lengthwise.
2. Place one half into the slow cooker bowl
3. Place the other half, face down, on top of the first half of the squash. It’s fine if they don’t match up, being offset is actually the best.
4. Pour the water around the squash
5. Cook on low for about 6 – 8 hours.
6. At the 6 hour mark, take a fork and try to scratch the inside of the squash. If it separates easily into strands, then it’s ready. If it requires a bit of effort, replace the lid and continue cooking.
7. When the insides are tender, carefully remove each half from the cooker
8. With a spoon, remove the inner seeds and pulp that is in the center of each half. Discard.
9. With a fork, you can now scratch at the “meat” of the squash and it will separate like spaghetti strands.
10. You can continue cooking with it for other recipes at this point, or simply dollop some butter, salt and pepper, and enjoy as is.
I told you it was easy! Once you’ve tried Cooking Spaghetti Squash in a Slow Cooker, you won’t go back! Its the perfect way to get some of this yummy veggie in your summer diet with out turning your home into a raging inferno!