I’m usually a bit of a hold out when it comes to trends… if you tell me I HAVE TO TRY something, I’ll dig in my heals and avoid it… just because. Yeah. I’m stubborn… and it annoys some people… oh well.
I managed to hold out for almost 2 years before I tried a PSL and now I’m totally addicted! The same thing happened with Chai Lattes! I remember the first time I tried a Chai Tea Latte… I was pleasantly surprised at just how tasty it was! There is something so soothing and fall-ish, I just had to make my own DIY chai latte mix for at home!
Now I just have to stay away from chai spices in ice cream or I am going to be learning how to make instant chai tea mix…or dirty chai black tea…or chocolate chai bites…I’m so far down the rabbit hole. LOL!
Now, the recipe seems like a lot of ingredients…but it’s actually a super easy recipe and that is so much more fun to use than tea bags…especially if you love chai.
So, give it a whirl. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.
DIY Chai Latte Mix Ingredients:
- 1 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 cups powdered non-dairy creamer
- 1 1/2 cup Vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
- 2 cups unsweetened instant tea
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar (you can use coconut sugar if desired)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (if replacing sugar with coconut sugar, add 1/3 cup molasses instead of brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Whip Cream (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer, sugar and instant tea. Stir in spices. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.
- To serve: Stir 2 heaping tablespoons Chai tea mixture into a mug of hot water. Or if you want it even creamier – a mug of hot milk!
- Top with whip cream and sprinkle a little bit of the DIY chai latte mix on top for an added pop of flavor!
This DIY Chai Latte mix recipe will make a little over 9 cups of chai deliciousness! Put some in a decorated mason jar and add a tag with the mixing directions – its a great mason jar gift for the holidays, or just because!
Have you ever tried making your own latte mix?