Hey, I am back with a new repurposing post! In case you missed my introduction in the Sweater Mittens post, I am Valerie. I am a Mom to 5 kids ages 19, 15, 5, 3, and 1 with a grandbaby due in June. We live in west Michigan and help run a family hobby farm. We do our best to raise our food and repurpose what we can to keep a small footprint. We try to live as frugal as possible so that I am able stay home with our kids. With so many kids we have all extra circular area covered, from starting 4 H this year to sports and volunteering at an animal rescue.

Upcycled Sweater Slippers and easy and practical way to repurpose an old or outdated sweater! - BusyBeingJennifer.com

With all the cut up bits of sweater layering from the sweater mittens I made, I figured I had to find something to do with them. Slippers can to mind first because my feet are ALWAYS cold. These upcycled sweater slippers are the perfect solution!

~ Old Sweater

~Sewing Machine

~Straight Pins

~Yarn

~Sharp scissors

~Large needle

Directions:  Cut the wrists off the sweater. The length of your cut from the wrist determines the length of the ankle of your slipper. I like 4-6 inches. Cut both sleeves together so they are the same length.

Lay the sweater flat and fold in half.  Trace the foot for the slipper or use a shoe to determine your size. If tracing a foot allow ¾ to 1 inch, for shoes only allow ½ inch. You should have 4 layers. Cut all layers at once. Lay out the pieces so you have a slipper for each foot. Turn your fabric so the right sides are out. You are NOT sewing the foot of this inside out.

Stack the top slipper pieces and fold in half, cut a semi circle out. This will be your foot hole. Pin the sleeve to the inside of the hole. Sew this seam. Trim excess seam as needed.

Place the bottom on your slipper and pin edges together. Sew around the perimeter.  Remove pins. Trim any excess fabric from around seam.

Using a large needle and yarn, stitch around edge of slipper.

Ta-Da, upcycled sweater slippers!

**Note, for added thickness in the sole of these slippers stack multiple layers for the bottom piece. OR you can add a felt layer, just cut in the same shape as the bottom layer of sweater

And there you have it! You’ve successfully turned an old sweater into slippers! I’ve been wearing these cozy things non stop for the last couple weeks and I’ve got to tell you my toes have never been cozier!

Thanks so much for this Awesome upcycle project Valerie! I’m definitely going to be on the look out for a sweater to turn into my very own cozy upcycled sweater slippers!

19 Responses to Upcycled Sweater Slippers

1. Elle Spann says:

this is awesome!! thanks for the idea 🙂
    elle
    Southern Elle Style

2. Linda says:

What a great idea! These look so cosy!

3. Ginny says:

What a great idea. I would wear slippers like that.

4. Maarit says:

Wonderful idea!!

5. Cool upcycle Jennifer, you make it look really easy.. tempting. Great job!

6. These look so warm and toasty and remind me of Mukluks when I was a kid.
    Thanks for sharing on the Oh My Heartsie GIrls WW this week!

I hope you have a wonderful week!
    Karren

7. leighdstr says:

Jennifer, this is brilliant! I absolutely am trying this one.

8. These are great and such a creative way to reuse some old sweaters! This is perfect for a cozy night in during the winter. All you need is some hot chocolate and a warm blanket 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing it with us on #shinebloghop this week

9. Claire says:

Love these! Love anything that’s a sweater upcycle. Have pinned for later. Thanks

10. Domenica says:

Such a cool idea!! Must try and make some of these sweater slippers!

11. Daffny says:

You make it seem so easy! I love the sweater up-cycles- it sounds so fun to find that perfect, worn out sweater from the thrift store and give it new life.

12. This has to be one of the best ideas I’ve seen in ages! Love them! Thanks for bringing this by Throwback Thursday!

Mollie

13. Love this DIY Jennifer! Pinned & shared. thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party!

14. Robyn D says:

Oh yes! Going to make and share! Thank you.

15. Christine says:

These are so great!! I need slippers, too. And have more than one sweater that should be put out to pasture. Thanks for linking up at #SaucySaturdays.

16. […] Upcycled Sweater Slippers from Busy Being Jennifer […]

17. I just had to stop by and tell you how much we loved these upcycled sweater slippers! So much that we featured them on Throwback Thursday (and you were picked by more than one of us! 🙂 Adorable!!

Mollie

18. Linda says:

Thanks for this! Am so going to try. BTY: according to your photo, you have a 19 year old. You don’t look much over 19 yourself!!! Beautiful picture, and gorgeous hair!

19. Rosie says:

These are the best upcyled item I’ve ever seen, they do look so comfy and like an expensive store bought item, only better, made with TLC!!!