I remember as a kid watching / helping my Mom and Nana make banana bread. This Molasses Walnut Banana Bread recipe is a bit of a spin of the one that we used to make together!
Molasses Walnut Banana Bread Recipe Ingredients:
1 1/3 C Flour
½ t Salt
¼ t Baking Powder
½ t Baking Soda
1 T Flax, ground
1/8 C Molasses
¼ C Honey
2 Eggs, whisked
1/3 C Butter
1 C Ripe Bananas, mashed
½ C Coconut, shredded
½ C Walnuts, chopped
1 t Vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350
1. In a bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well and set aside.
2. In a second bowl, beat together honey, vanilla, molasses and butter.
3. Mix the dry flour mixture, into the wet egg mixture and combine well.
4. Add eggs and ground flax. Mix well.
5. Gently fold in the ripe bananas, coconut, and the chopped nuts.
6. Transfer into a greased loaf pan and bake for approximately 50 – 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Serve warm or cold with a pat of butter and cup of coffee or tea!
My favorite part of baking with my Mom and Nana, was after everything was all cleaned up and the goodies were still in the oven. We’d sit at the kitchen table, with cups of tea or coffee (in my case a glass of milk) and they would tell stories or just chat about life. Oh how I miss those days!
My Nana passed away about 15 years ago now and there isn’t much I wouldn’t give to be able to sit at that table with the tow of them again chatting about life and just spending some quality time together.
These days I whip up a batch of this Molasses Walnut Banana Bread to enjoy and think of my Nana and all those good memories we shared.
Do you have a recipe that brings back memories and make miss certain people?
Another family favorite recipe I inherited from my Nana is this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe!