Winter weather and Holidays call for some good-old-fashioned comfort food! And what better comfort food than Chicken and Dumplings! I was inspired by an episode of Diners, Drive ins and Dives that I recently watched with my hubby. I wish I could tell you what restaurant and what city Guy Fieri was in, but I wasn’t paying that much attention… at least until they said Chicken and Dumplings. So I went to the store, bought a chicken and made up my own Chicken and Dumplings Recipe!
What you need:
1 Whole Chicken
1 can of biscuits
2 Tablespoons of Butter
4 Tablespoons of Flour
Chicken Flavor Boost
Salt, Pepper, and Garlic to taste
1. Wash your chicken up good!
2. Butterfly the chicken (breast up) and place in a roasting pan/dish
3. Roast at 350 degrees for 90 minutes or until fully cooked.
4. Drain the juice from the pan and save for later. Allow to cool.
1. Take the meat off the bone, shred, and set aside. Place bones and skin in large pot.
2. Add 8 to 10 cups of water (depending on how big your chicken was)
3. Cover and boil for 30 minutes.
4. Strain the chicken stock from the bones, pour the stock back into the pot and add the shredded chicken. Chop onion and add. Return to boil.
1. In a separate pot, make a roux (melt butter and mix in flour).
2. Add roux to boiling stock and chicken. Add flavor boost and seasonings.
3. Chop canned biscuits into quarter sized chunks. Add to boiling chicken. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
4. Simmer for 5 minutes (or until dumplings are thoroughly cooked).
This was a BIG hit with Hubby. And even though it’s a little time-consuming, it’s definitely worth it! So YUMMY!
What is your favorite comfort food?