Growing up we had lots of family friends that were Dutch. Besides having farms with large fields perfect for us kids to run around in, they made some pretty darn tasty foods! I always loved visiting “Aunt” Jane’s house… she knew we were all huge fans of her Boterkoek, and she rarely failed to have a fresh batch on hand 🙂 Now as a grown up, I occasionally get a little home sick and crave very specific foods. This week, it was Boeterkoek! So what do I do? I whip up a batch of course!
This recipe creates a yummy, moist, butter cakey dessert with just a hint of almond. I’m super glad to say that even my picky eater husband is a fan of this treat! And you know what that means! I get to make it more often now! Woot Woot!
3 c. Flour
2 c. Sugar
2 sticks of Butter (Room Temperature)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. Almond Extract
3 Eggs (beaten)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In large bowl mix butter, sugar, salts and extracts. Blend well.
3. Reserve 1 tsp of beaten eggs to brush across the top before baking. Add in beaten eggs and blend until creamy.
4. Mix in flour to form dough.
5. In an un-greased 9×12 pan press dough into corners and smooth.
6. Add 1 tsp water to the reserved egg, combine and brush over top of the dough.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 40 minutes. Dough should be firm to touch.
Allow to cool, cut into squares and enjoy!
We snacked on these little squares of gooey, buttery goodness most of the weekend! I’ve frozen the last of them so I won’t be tempted to blow the diet entirely, and that way I’ll have a few already to munch on the next time I get a craving 🙂
Do you ever get cravings for certain foods you remember from your childhood? What are they?