When you buy a home you’re making a huge investment, as years go by it’s likely that your property will increase in value. Changes in the market happen naturally, and you can also add value by making your own renovations. Here are a few options to increase the value of your home.
10 Ways You Can Add Value To Your Property:
1 . Fix Any Structural Issues
Before attempting any large-scale renovations, it’s important to fix any structural issues. Your home might have defects including rising damp, a leaking roof, cracked walls, rotten timbers, or missing roof tiles.
If you’re serious about adding value to your home, you’ll need to fix these structural issues first. At this point you should also attend to any cosmetic damages, for example chipped paint work, or creaking doors.
2. Loft Conversion
Extending your living space is a great way to add value, and one of the best ways to do this is with a loft conversion. There are a few different types of loft conversion, including mansar, hip-to gable, or roof light. To choose the right style you’ll need to consider your budget, and the structure of your roof.
According to Homes & Gardens, ‘adding a loft conversion to your home can add almost 20 percent value to your property.’ There are plenty of other benefits to adding a loft conversion including:
- Can increase the energy efficiency of your property.
- Extend your living space.
- Most of the time, you won’t need planning permission.
3. Solar Panels
Investing in renewable energy is a great way to add value to your property. According to Money.com, ‘On average, solar panels raise a home’s value by 4.1%.’ Other advantages of installing solar panels include:
- Can help to decrease your electricity bills.
- Solar panels are inexpensive to maintain.
- A great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
4. Renovate Your Bathroom
Updating your bathroom is a great investment, data from Rennofi shows that, ‘you’ll be able to recoup somewhere between $13,688 (64% of the project’s cost) for a midrange remodel and $37,995 for an upscale remodel (56.6% of the project’s cost).’
Keeping up to date with the latest bathroom design trends will help you to plan your renovation work. A few top trends right now include:
- Smart toilets and heated floors.
- Mock-wood bathroom tiles.
- Earthy color schemes.
- Bold patterned tiles.
- Japandi style bathrooms.
- Large free standing bathtubs.
5. Add A Garden Room
A garden room is a type of insulated building, the building goes in your garden, and is a separate structure from your property. It’s different to a shed or a summer house because it’s designed as a luxury structure. These buildings are both practical, durable and beautifully designed.
You can use a garden room in many different ways, for example, as a home office, or as an extra living room. Research shows that adding a garden room to your property can boost the value by between 5 and 15%.
Once you’ve made a few structural renovations you might be ready to sell. At this stage you’ll need to use the best real estate websites, to get expert support and advice.
6. Build A Conservatory
One of the best ways to upgrade your property with a conservatory. Property owners have many different options for when it comes to conservatories, including Edwardian-style conservatories, Victorian-style conservatories, or lean-to conservatories.
Building a conservatory is a fantastic way to connect your garden space and your indoor space. These multi-purpose rooms can be used for entertaining, dining or as a storage space. Before you build a conservatory there are several considerations which you should make:
- Consider the positioning of your conservatory, (you’ll want to ensure that the room gets maximum sunlight).
- Think about which material to use for your conservatory, (consider both value for money and energy efficiency).
- Research your contractors, it’s important to choose the right people for the job.
7. Boost your curb appeal
If you want to make your property attractive to buyers, you’ve got to boost your curb appeal. Renovating the exterior areas of your home is a great way to add value. There are plenty of ways that you can improve the exterior of your property. A few general ideas include:
- Update your front door and your mailbox.
- Clean your walls and paving using a power washer.
- Update your paving stones and add lawn ornaments.
- Add bright flowers and window boxes.
- Re-paint your fences and clean away any debris.
- Fix any structural problems, (loose roof tiles or broken gates etc).
8. Smart home features
Thanks to smart technology our homes are getting more intelligent. According to My Toolshed, ‘an average spend of £179 on making your home ‘smart’ can add up to £16,000 to its value’. To improve your home with smart tech, consider adding features such as:
- A smart home security system.
- A smart home entertainment system.
- Smart thermostats to control your energy.
- Smart home appliances.
9. Upgrade your kitchen
A beautiful kitchen is a great way to impress potential buyers, and add value to your home. A kitchen renovation is a significant investment, but you’ll earn back your money when you come to sell your property. When you’re planning a kitchen renovation, here are a few general tips to help you:
- Find top quality designers and contractors to carry out the work.
- Research the latest modern kitchen design trends.
- Create a clear budget and a plan before you get started.
10. Sources of inspiration
Need more ideas to add value to your property? Then be sure to check out these sources of inspiration:
- Fix It Home Improvement: This is a great podcast for DIY home improvement projects. If you’re keen to renovate your property, you’ll find some great ideas here. There’s plenty to learn, from drywall tools to installing recessed lighting.
- Your Home Story: Throughout these episodes you’ll learn plenty of techniques to improve your home. If your property needs a bit of TLC this is the perfect podcast!
As you can see, there are plenty of different options to add value to your property. With the help of these steps you’ll earn a great return when you come to sell your home.