I love me some zippy pouches. LOVEEEEEE! I’m slightly addicted to making them in a variety of sizes 🙂 They are definitely my top sellers when I go to craft markets! With Back to school season upon us I decided I needed to make some pencil case zippy pouches! And because I am AWESOME I’m sharing the how-to details with y’all!

DIY Pencil Case - BusyBeingJennifer.com #101HandmadeDays

To make it simple, and because this video is wayyyy more helpful than my attempt at explaining the steps would be, I’m sharing this video from Dana from Dana Made It. She explains everything very clearly!

For this DIY pencil case pouch I used a 10 inch zipper and cut the fabric into 10″ by 5.5″ rectangles. The only difference between what I do and what Dana shows in the video, is that I add some stability and a little thickness to my DIY pencil case by adding a layer of cotton batting.

To do this all I do is layer the outer fabric on top and then treat it as “one piece” with the batting side being the “wrong side”.

I find this adds a lot of durability to my zippy pouches and my customers seem to love that about them! And I love it too… if you ever have a chance to look inside my purse you’ll find at least 4, maybe 5 zipper pouches in various sizes including this DIY pencil case pouch for all my pens and markers!

DIY Pencil Case - BusyBeingJennifer.com #101HandmadeDays

And if you feel your sewing skills aren’t quite up to the task of making your own DIY pencil case, or their altogether nonexistent, pop over to my handmade shop! I’ve added some darling pencil cases in a variety of fabric options! You won’t want to wait! There are only 1 or 2 available in each fabric!

27 Responses to 101 Handmade Days: DIY Pencil Case Zippy Pouch

1. Patti Tucker says:

So simple and useful…my kind of item. Plus, those tiny hearts. ♥

2. Stacie says:

Love the heart pattern! Do you ever have a list of craft shows that you’re attending so I can come visit and pick up some of your very cool stuff in person? Stacie xo

3. sandyld7 says:

Really cute! I can think of thousands of things you could use those for besides pencils!

4. Alicia says:

These are too cute! We’ve been scared to attempt zippers though ha

5. Jennifer says:

my daughter would love to do this for this school year. Thank you!!

6. Akaleistar says:

What a cute pencil case!

7. LOVE this DIY! I’ve always found zippers so challenging but you’ve made me believe I can do it. Saving this for later!

Stephanie @ Mommyzoid.ca

PS: You should come share this post at the Ladies Collective Linkup! <3

8. angelinepeterman says:

Very Very cute! Great job and thank you for sharing! (via Wow Me Wednesday Link Party)

9. shbowdoin says:

This is the perfect project for a beginning sewer to try, especially to get practice with zippers! Thanks for joining us on Oh My Heartsie Girl Wordless Wednesday!

Shellie

10. mmgmom says:

What a great case. I think this looks awesome. Thanks for linking up on #HomeMattersParty and I hope you will come back and link up again soon.

11. […] DIY Pencil Case Zippy Pouch – Busy Being Jennifer […]

12. Miss Manitas says:

I love these super cute pencil case!

13. allthatsjas says:

So cute! Thanks for linking up with Thursday Favorite Things, hope to see you again this week!

14. […] here?The last two crafts were submitted from Busy Being Jennifer.  Busy indeed!  Both the DIY Pencil Holder and Crayon Wreath are making me all kinds of […]

15. love it! thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

16. I seriously wish I had this kind of talent! This is adorable, and I adore the fabric 🙂

17. rleeosborn says:

Those are adorable! I couldn’t make one myself, but I would buy one at your craft show!! Thanks for sharing this idea at the Family Joy Linkup!

18. This is such a cute case! I wish I were as crafty as you are…you always make the most adorable things! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Share The Wealth Sunday!

19. Teresa says:

Such a cute case! I haven’t put a zipper in something for longer than I care to say, but I’m feeling inspired after seeing your case. Thank you for sharing it with us.

20. What a cute case. I love the fabric you chose. We’d be honored to have you share this at our weekly link party. http://www.thelifeofjenniferdawn.com/2016/07/diy-painted-projects-for-home-and.html Hope to see you there!

21. RAKI WRIGHT says:

Thanks for sharing your amazing post at Motivation Monday. We’re featuring it this week! See you at this week’s party which starts Sunday night at 6:30pm EST. Can’t wait to see what you share. 🙂

Raki
    Outside the Box Mom

22. I love making homemade pencil cases. Once you make a few they are really easy to whip up. Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Shared.

23. Congratulations! This post is going to be featured over at Diana Rambles tomorrow and has been pinned to the Featured at Diana Rambles board at Pinterest and Tweeted. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea!

24. Maria M says:

I loved this tutorial! You made it look really easy to do…thank you!

25. Emine says:

Hi, I came across your blog through create-with-joy.com
    Love the DIY.

Greetings from The Netherlands

26. Easy peasy, cute pouch. Love it. Thanks for sharing with us.

Have a great day.