A few years ago, I started picking a single word to focus on as I moved into the new year. Last year I chose “Unfolding”, this year I chose RISE as my one little word for 2017.

A few years ago, I started picking a single word to focus on as I moved into the new year. This year I chose RISE as my one little word for 2017.

Lets face it, 2016 was a rough one. Seriously. The meme’s on facebook pretty much say it all. 2016 took a lot out of all of us. Its been a butt-kicker for my little family too. The Hubs was hurt at work and then unemployed for almost 5 months. I struggled with my health more than usual, sliced open my hand and took on a little more than I should.

Despite the insanity, struggles and challenges, we made it out alive!

I knew what my one little word for this next year was going to be in November. I kind of stumbled on to it, thanks to my Mom.

I was having a rough week, and an even rougher day, when out of the blue I got a text from my Mom. It simply said “this is for you right now” with a link to a youtube video.

There was something about these words that struck a chord in me. I’d been letting life and the struggles overwhelm me, and it was starting to wear me down.

I played this song over and over and over again for the next hour or so, letting it sink in and settle in my soul. It was the healing balm that I needed that day and the words “but still I rise” became my mantra.

… but still I rise

above the stress, challenges, obstacles and health issues, I will Rise.

And so my one little word for 2017 was decided on.

And of course I had to stitch it up and hang it on my wall 🙂

And then, after thinking and meditating on this word Rise, and the phrase “but still I rise”, I decided to take it one step further and add a permanent reminder in a place that I won’t ever miss…

Every time I look down at my arm, I am reminded that no matter what, I will rise. I will always rise.

What is your word for 2017?

12 Responses to Rise – My One Little Word for 2017

1. Rosie says:

I love the word rise, too. It is enervating, and can really help you rally back when you feel knocked over!

2. “Rise” is a great word and I think it will carry you through many things in the upcoming year. I don’t have a word myself, but I love yours.

3. Nicole Reid says:

Yay for Rise! I hear you about 2016 not being the best, but am wishing you great things for 2017!

My OLW is Rebel. Crossing my fingers it means that I rebel against little to no traffic/products, lol. But I have BBB to keep me on the right track.
    Thanks for sharing your word!

4. Patti Tucker says:

That is dedication, woman!

5. Julie says:

I’m so sorry to hear 2016 has not been great for you, but your positive outlook is fab.
    I was thinking of the Maya Angelou poem when I first saw this , I’ve always love it and a friend printed it out and made me a card with it on this Christmas which was lovely.
    I’ve not thought about have a word of the year before, but I do always live my the manta, wake up, do your best, sleep, repeat so I guess I’ll stick with that for now.

6. How is it that 2016 was so bad for so many people?! “Rise” is sure to be the key word for a lot of us this year! Lovely embroidery! I really love how you stitched the word “rise.” Is that a specific type of stitch, or did you just kind of improvise it? Either way, awesome! 🙂 Lisa

• Jennifer says:

Right? It seems like 2016 was universally challenging! I pretty much just improvised and did a couple “rows” of back stitching right next to each other.

7. Beverly says:

Jennifer, your stitched wall hanging is fabulous! I love it. That is one of my all time favorite quotes. Your tattoo looks great, too. 2016 was a pretty awful year in a lot of ways. This is the first year I’ve really given thought to having a word of the year. Late last year it seemed evident that the world could used more kindness in 2017. So kindness is my word of the year. Thank you for sharing your word of the year and the lovely wall hanging with us at Snickerdoodle. I’ll be featuring this at our next party.

8. Sue says:

Great word as we can always ‘Rise’ up from anything we are thrown. My word is Simplify and I’m hoping to get back to the simple life. Not so sure I could get a tattoo I’d be too scared LOL:) Thanks for sharing with us at #OvertheMoon

9. Lori says:

Great word! Believing that 2017 will be your year! You will rise above it all! Blessings to you! Thanks for sharing at Dishing It & Digging It! 🙂