Why is it that the second the calendar page turns to August, I get FALL on the brain? Seriously. My heart and soul are crazy craving fall! I’ve got comfort food, cooler temperatures, hot chocolate, long talks with good friends, cozy hoodies, bonfires and s’mores on the brain? Please tell me I’m not alone in this?
While there is not a whole lot I can do about the temperature and hoodie wearing (Come On Mother Nature!), I can do something about the comfort food and s’mores cravings! And since it just so happens that the 10th of August is National S’mores day, I’m starting there! These Oooey Gooey S’mores Bars hit all the right fall notes!
Oooey Gooey S’mores Bars Ingredients:
Graham Cracker Crust
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 Regular size Hershey chocolate bars
Oooey Gooey S’mores Bars Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 1 cup of Marshmallows in freezer and allow to freeze (it won’t take long). Lightly grease a 9×13-baking dish with cooking spray.
- Start out with making the Graham cracker crust. Combine the crumbs, granulated sugar, and butter until combined. Press into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter (slightly cooled), brown sugar and granulated sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, and egg, until creamy.
- Mix in the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in Chocolate Chips.
- Spoon dough on top of the graham cracker crust and lightly press into an even layer. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of marshmallows on top slightly pressing in.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until top begins to get slightly golden brown. Make sure to bake until the center is set. Be sure not to over bake as they will continue to firm up when cooling.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with frozen marshmallows. Return to the oven for 1 to 2 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden on top.
- While bars are in the oven, break candy bar into sections and place in freezer.
- After bars are done baking, remove pan from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes then gently place broken candy bar piece on top.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares and enjoy! ☺
Let me warn you though… once you start nibbling on these delectable Oooey Gooey S’mores Bars, you won’t be able to stop! They’re just that darn delicious!!!
Are you in a Fall frame of mind yet? Or are you clinging to the last days of summer?