Ever since my health coach encouraged me to go gluten free (hows that for a new years resolution?) I’ve been looking for new and tasty ways to eat more vegetables. While regular old boring potatoes are not the most interesting (or even the healthiest choice) of vegetables, they sure are easy to dress up – or down – and add all kinds of delicious flavors too! I decided to give Hasselback Potatoes a try, and OH BOY they did not disappoint!!
Potatoes (washed and any blemishes removed)
Salt and Pepper
Heavy Whipping Cream
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. With a sharp knife, carefully slice thin slices through the width of the potato, being careful not to slice fully through to the bottom. You only want to slice the potato ¾ of the way down. Make your slices 1/8th to ¼ inch thick, depending on the size of the potato.
3. Sprinkle some olive oil over the top of the potato
4. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the top of the slices.
5. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 30 – 40 minutes.
6. After the time is up, turn the tray around in the oven and take this opportunity to baste the potato with extra oil or butter.
7. Bake for a further 20 – 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest.
8. While the potatoes are in the oven, combine sour cream and whipping cream in a one to one ratio. (1/4 cup of sour cream to a ¼ cup of cream) The actual amount you need will depend on how many potatoes you are making. Mix until well combined and season with salt and pepper, with a dash of dill or more Italian seasoning.
9. Just before serving, garnish the potatoes with the cream mixture.
Your family will be begging you for these delicious hasselback potatoes with the cream sauce on top. Garnish them with a little shredded cheese, bacon bits, chopped green onion… the options are endless and these hasselback potatoes are the perfect”blank canvas” for whatever topping you want to add on top!
Hubby likes his hasselback potatoes with cream sauce, a little shredded cheese a dash of mexican seasoning. I like mine all sorts of different ways… I haven’t settled on a favorite, but I sure do like experimenting with different flavors and textures 🙂
Oh and I should mention that these are PERFECT for game day! You can have a little hasselback potato bar with all the fixin’s!
There is definitely no right or wrong way to enjoy your hasselback potatoes with cream sauce!