I love quilting. I love everything about the process… but sometimes, I just want to whip something up and not have to go through the lengthy process of a traditional quilt. This Easy Bandanna Quilt is just the project to scratch that itch! It only takes a few hours, avoids the occasionally complicated process of binding and when you’re finished, you have a quilt that is nice and snuggly!

Easy Bandanna Quilt - BusyBeingJennifer.com #101handmadedays

Want to make your own Bandanna Quilt? Here’s what you need:

9 (pre washed) square bandannas
quilt batting (at least 65 inches wide) and 2 yards long.
Backing fabric (65 inches wide) by 2 yards long.
Thread
Sewing Machine
Iron
Scissors
Large Quilting Safety Pins

Easy Bandanna Quilt - BusyBeingJennifer.com #101handmadedays

Start by sewing your bandannas together. 3 to a row and then sew your rows together to create your quilt top. Iron all your seams flat.

Once your top is done, clear a large space on the floor to layer and sandwich your quilt. First, Lay your batting flat on the floor. Then spread your bandanna quilt top on top of the batting. Smooth all the wrinkles out. Take your backing fabric and lay it right side down (if its patterned you want the right side of the fabric facing the right side of the bandanna quilt top). Again, smooth all the wrinkles out and make sure that all the layers are flat. Pin all three layers of your quilt together. Don’t be afraid to use lots of pins to secure the layers.

Carefully trim any access batting and backing fabric.

Sew a 1/2 seam through all 3 layers around the quilt. Leave a 10 to 12 inch gap between where you start and stop to turn your quilt right side out. Trim the corners.

Turn your quilt and poke out the corners.

Iron your seams flat and carefully fold and iron the space where you turned the quilt.

Sew a 1/4 inch top stitch around the whole quilt. Tuck in your threads.

Easy Bandanna Quilt - BusyBeingJennifer.com #101handmadedays

You can leave your bandanna quilt as it is with just the top stitching or you can add additional lines of quilting to secure the layers of fabric. Another option is to tie the center of the squares with a length of yarn.

And your bandanna quilt is done!! This one took me about 3.5 to 4 hours and it was very satisfying to sit down for an afternoon and walk away with a completely finished quilt! I’m thinking that this is a perfect “truck quilt”, you know the one that lives in the truck so that you have a blanket on hand whenever you need it!

21 Responses to 101 Handmade Days: Bandanna Quilt

1. Pary Moppins says:

Quilting is something that I’ve always wanted to do and this looks like a great first project. It would be super cute as a tablecloth for a patriotic party as well. 🙂

2. Alicia says:

This is super cute and seems easy enough for my little sewing lover! You could also do this like a rag quilt and have a thin picnic blanket.

3. Teresa Allen says:

I have never been able to make a quilt, never learned. This one is super cute and I love it 🙂

4. Phyrra says:

Really cute and easy!

5. laniderrick says:

Super cute and easy. Would be perfect to grab as a picnic blanket.

6. kendradarr says:

This looks perfect for a 4th of July picnic!

7. This is such a cool quilt! I can’t sew worth a lick, but you do make it sound so easy, lol. 😉 And perfectly patriotic too!

8. I love this! So easy to make and it’s perfect for the 4th of July!

9. quick, easy and beautiful! I love bandanna quilts and this is a lovely one! Thanks for sharing with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday!

10. Kathleen says:

Very pretty! This would make a great summer tablecloth too.

11. mirandakay says:

My aunt use to make quilts and I always loved them. I need to learn how to make quilts! Thanks for linking up to Small Victories Sunday Link Up!

12. […] a few weeks ago when I shared about my Bandanna Quilt? This one is the same principle and uses a lot of the same steps, plus its super […]

13. This is so cute and I can’t believe you made it so quickly! Thanks so much for sharing at Share The Wealth Sunday!

xoxo
    Lisa

14. Oh cute! I get so excited each week to see what you have been working on because it’s always AMAZING! Thank you for sharing this with us. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm, so we can party!!!! Lou Lou Girls

15. chroncont says:

This quilt is so cute! I love that it’s the type of quilt that could be great for a beginner, but is lovely 🙂 Thanks for sharing the directions and wonderful pictures!!!

16. Melanie says:

This is such a cute quilt idea! Thanks for sharing on Motivational Monday! I hope you’ll join us again this week: http://makingitinthemitten.blogspot.com/2015/07/motivational-monday-july-12th.html

17. This is so cute! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week’s party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-143.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

18. Joanne says:

Such a fun project — it looks so easy, maybe even I could do this! Thanks for sharing the easy step by step process!

19. rcsc49 says:

This is a great use for those bandannas you see everywhere. Love your creativeness – thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

20. […] this fun bandana quilt from Busy Being Jennifer. You could use any color combo to match any […]

21. The Weekly Feature Series is live. You are one of the 25 features that are in the Series. Here is the link so you can check it out. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/07/weekly-feature-series_18.html Happy Week to you! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse