One of my very good friends is DAYS away from bringing home their son. They’ve been going through the process of adopting for over 2 years. Its been quite the journey and I’ve been privileged to be a small part of their story (Read more about the L Family  herehere & here ). With all the craziness of the past few months leading up to being able to bring their son home, I know that my friend “D” has been overwhelmed and at least a little stressed. As excited as I am to have a little man to make a million things for (cause you know I’m gonna 😀 ), I also know that the Mom-to-be could use a little pampering too! Especially in these last few weeks before the little guy comes home. So I put together a basket full of goodies for when “D” needs a time out of her own. What better way to chill out and relax a bit that with a good cup of Tea and a few moments to herself? It started with a trip to Target for some Bigelow Tea and a few spa goodies. I do Love me some Target therapy 😉

It started with a trip to Target for some Bigelow Tea - BusyBeingJennifer.com

Insulated Cup
Iced Coffee Packs
Strawberry Lemonade Refreshers
Bigelow Teas – Green Tea, Plantation Mint & Vanilla Chai
Mug with Crocheted Cozy

Of course I had to include some yummy Bigelow teas! - BusyBeingJennifer.com

I’ll admit that I was tempted to keep the Vanilla Chai #TrendTea… but I figured I’d just invite myself over for newborn snuggles and a cup of tea in a few weeks 🙂 Now as for that mug cozy, I’m addicted to making them! These will definitely be an addition to the shop soon! Unless you can crochet… If you can crochet, here’s the FREE PATTERN!

Free Mug Cozy Crochet Pattern - BusyBeingJennifer.com

Materials:

2 Skeins medium weight yarn. I used Caron Simply Soft.

Size 5mm crochet hook

Buttons of your choice. Preferably 1 Large and 1 small
 Stitches used:

Ch- chain
SlSt- slip stitch
SC- single crochet
DC- double crochet

Instructions:
Row 1- Make a magic circle, Ch 2, (counts as a DC), and then make 11 DC in the loop, join to the top of the CH 2. (12 DC total) – Be sure to tighten the magic circle.

Row 2- Ch 2, make a DC in same stitch as the CH 2 just made, then make 2 DC in each stitch around, SlSt to join at top of chain 2.

Row 3- Ch 2, make a DC in the same stitch as the CH 2 just made, then (1 DC in the next chain, 2 DC in the next), repeat (   ) all the way around, join with SlSt.

Row 4- Ch 1, make 1 SC in front loops only in each stitch all the way around, join.

Row 5- Ch 1, (make 1 SC and 1 DC both in the same next stitch, skip next stitch), repeat (   ) all the way around until 3 or 4 stitches are left unworked. 1 SC in the next stitch. Chain 1, TURN.

Row 6-  Make 1 SC, and 1 DC in the stitch above the DC from the previous row. Repeat all the way around until 1 stitch is left undone. Make 1 SC in that last stitch. Chain 1, TURN. *Note – always end on a single crochet*

Repeat row 6 – five times. Then switch to secondary color for 3 additional rows.

When finished with last row, Chain about 20, and then slip stitch into the beginning stitch of the chain to create a loop. Be sure to use a mug to gauge how many to chain.
SlSt into the same stitch as the chain starts in.
SC 3 into the edge. Then chain 12 (again,  use a mug to gauge how many to chain). SlSt into the same stitch as the chain starts. Continue SC around the edge .
Crocheted Coffee Cozy - BusyBeingJennifer.com
You can see the contrasting color in the edge stitches here.
SlSt 1 to close, cut yarn leaving a tail to weave in,  then weave in.  Sew on buttons on the opposite side of the loop for closure.
TA-DA!!! Your very own crocheted Mug Cozy!! Be prepared… these crochet up fairly quickly and are slightly addicting to make! Added to a basket full of goodies and you’ve got the perfect gift!
Mommy's Time Out Basket - BusyBeingJennifer.com

Even though I don’t have any kids, I do, on occasion, need a time out. In my world there is no better way to take a little break than with a little face mask beautification, a cute mug & cozy and a yummy cup of Bigelow Tea! And I just gotta say… if someone were to send a basket like this my way, I’d give myself time outs all day long! What would make for the perfect time out for you?

#TrendTea #CollectiveBias

31 Responses to Free Mug Cozy Pattern and A Gift for a New Mom #TrendTea

1. Jane says:

Neato! I pinned that to 3 group boards for you Jenn!

2. shawnajereemiller says:

Love this! I wish I could crochet better, but I'll def save this pattern to give it a try later. You are the sweetest friend!

3. massholemommy says:

That mug cozy came out awesome. That is an awesome idea for a new mom or anyone really!

4. Yay, the pattern is up! Pinning! I'm also pinning the Mommy Time Out Basket–what a thoughtful idea for a new mom! Everyone gives baby gifts (as they should 😉 ) but sometimes mom is forgotten. I'm sure your friend will love it!

5. Kendra says:

Looks like a great new-mommy gift!

6. Deanna Ritz says:

What a fun idea! I'm loving the mug cozy! So cute, and the solution to always burning my hands on my hot coffee. 🙂

7. Carly says:

I love this idea, so cute!

8. I love the mug cozy! So cute! I have a few coffee cups I love the lip of, but hate that the body gets so hot and they just aren't comfortable to hold with the handle alone. Fun!

9. The cozy is fabulous since it goes around the handle! Such a thoughtful gift!

10. jamie4flanary says:

Oh my GOSH, how thoughtful of you and I LOVE the Cozy!

11. Laura says:

Congrats to your friend, how awesome is that! And way to go for being a great friend!

12. Heather says:

I don't know how to crochet so I just might be checking out your shop…or sending one of my crocheting friends to this post! Congrats to your friend with her baby news! I love that you're helping her celebrate the adoption and becoming a new mom! #client

13. pnkheelspnktrk says:

What a fun gift basket for her!! All the perfect essentials too!! 🙂 I love receiving thought out gifts like that from friends. You are definitely a super sweet friend!

14. Joy from Yesterfood says:

Jennifer, I LOVE the mug cozy AND free pattern! And what mom wouldn't love to have the time out basket?? Thanks for sharing this at Treasure Box Tuesday- PINNED! 😀

15. I love cozy mug wraps!! I just can't make them myself lol

16. Brenda B. says:

Looks like a great mug cozy! Thanks for the pattern!

17. This is really gorgeous! I love it! Thanks for sharing!
    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft http://www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

18. Apple Pie says:

What a cute idea! Pinned!

19. It is pretty safe to say that I suck at crocheting- I just never finish anything, but I think this mug cozy would just improve my work day. Now to find someone to make it for me…!

20. 2crochethooks says:

cool cozy! love the two toned, looks classy 🙂 Great gift idea too, I would be glad to have a basket!

21. kimberlee says:

Cute mug cozy – thanks for sharing the pattern. What a great gift basket idea!

22. Neri Ann says:

I always wanted to make a crochet mug because I love coffee! I must try this soon!

nhengswonderland.blogspot.com

23. jenny says:

Thanks for posting to WW!

24. A lovely way to have a time out. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

25. Cydnee says:

Such a cute idea and I love the basket! Thank you for joining us at #purebloglove. We enjoy having you every Thursday night at 8PM, EST through Sunday night. ~Cydnee

26. LikeableNut says:

Such a sweet idea…learning to crochet is perpetually on my things-to-learn list! Thanks for linking up to Snickerdoodle Sunday- hope to see you again this Saturday at 5:00 ET with your latest makes!

Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

27. […] DIY Candy Wrapper Coin Purse – mynewestaddiction.comFree Mug Cozy Pattern – busybeingjennifer.com […]

28. Donna says:

This is a beautiful pattern, thanks for sharing it with us!

29. Elle Tucker says:

This is great! I see so many cute patterns for mug warmers but they’re almost always in knit and I’m far more comfortable with crocheting. Love your color combos too. 🙂

30. Jerry Marquardt says:

This is such a great craft idea. I would like to thank you for sharing it with us.